Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 3 in Barcelona

I've been lagging on posts lately, so now it's time for some catch-up. I'll start with Thursday.

Today I was back in Barcelona, and did some wandering on my own. I went to the Catalan Art Museum in Montjuic, which is a large park area that has remnants of a World Expo in 1924, as well as the Olympic Stadium and Village from 1992. The museum was great, and had one of the largest collections of Romanesque art (religious paintings and sculptures from western Europe from about 1000 A.D. - 1300 A.D.) in the world.
Person:

Today's person was a guy I saw playing guitar outside the Catalan Art Museum. The museum is perched on a tall hill with long staircases going down it to a promenade leading to two large columns and the "Magic Fountain." There are great views of northeast Barcelona from in front of the museum, and next to one of the greatest views this man sat finger-picking acoustic renditions of rock standards (Piano Man, Hotel California, etc). He was actually really good, and I sipped an Orxata (similar to Horchata but made with chufa nuts instead of rice) on the museum steps while I watched.
Place:

After my visit to Montjuic I met up with my parents and some family friends from Spain (Manuel, Carmen, and their daughter Bea). We went to Parc Guell, a Park designed by Antoni Gaudi, Barcelona's visionary modernist architect from the turn of the century time period. The park was mind-blowing, and a joy to discover. This picture is of a group of doric columns that support the lower terrace of the multi-level park. Notice the amazing tile mandalas that pop out from the undulating roof.
Food:

We went to another pintxos pace tonight called Bilbao Berrio, and it was even better than the first. It had the best chorizo I've tried (I'm cheating a little on the vegetarianism to try new things over here) and dessert tapas! We had Creme Catalan (the same as creme brulee; the Catalans claim it was their dish first) and rice pudding.

1 comment:

  1. I love the toddler peaking from a safe distance behind the strollers at the guitarist... that and the butt crack of the statue... My vocab word of the day: Romanesque

    Of course it was the best chorizo you ever had if you are cheating on vegetarianism. lol Chorizo is super yum!

    ReplyDelete