Saturday, April 11, 2009

Day 4 in Barcelona

It was rainy again today. I took it slowly and hit some museums.
Person:

Our family friends Manuel, Carmen, and Bea are a joy to hang out with. They each speak some English (Manuel especially), and I've been practicing my Spanish (which is extremely bad), so we all get to improve our second languages. They are very patient with me, and I'm learning a lot. It's been great being able to practice my Spanish while here. It makes a huge difference being in a country where it's the primary language. I've even started to think in Spanish!Place:

I toured the Fundacio Joan Miro, which was a museum begun by and displaying the art of Joan Miro. Miro was sometimes called a surrealist, though he rejected some of their notions. His art was not abstract, but did stray greatly from any kind of realistic portrayals. His most recognizable paintings show simple forms painted in black (for example a crescent moon or an eight-pointed star) accented by splotches of bright color (red, yellow, blue, green, orange, and purple) on a white background. I really enjoyed seeing his work. Photographs weren’t allowed in the museum, but here is a photo of the front of it at least.

Food:

Today I ate the best tortilla espanola that I have found since coming here. Tortilla is a word used here to describe an omelet that is usually made with potatoes and onions but can come in many different varieties. I have made and eaten tortillas espanolas at home and enjoyed them a lot. I’ve found here that the quality varies widely though. I found a small bar for breakfast (the word “bar” here usually means a tapas bar, though they also serve alcohol) and they served a great slice of tortilla (and taught me the Spanish word for “slice”).

1 comment:

  1. Learning Spanish? I want to improve too - next time we see each other we should try to practice.

    Place - sometimes simple primary and secondary colors make a huge impact.

    I want to have some tortillas too... :)

    ReplyDelete