Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 6 in Barcelona

Sunday, April 12, 2009
Person:

The person of the day today was my mom. We’ve been traveling together for about a week now, and it’s been great to have her expertise in Spanish language, history, and culture along. Today she’s getting chosen though because she put a smile on my face by getting me an chocolate Easter bunny—er, monkey that is. Thanks, Mom. The pic is of me with said monkey. Yum!
Place:

Today I got to visit another of Gaudi’s greatest works: Casa Mila. This was essentially a luxury apartment building built in the middle of Barcelona that uses some of the most daring and ingenious architectural elements of any building I’ve ever seen. Gaudi designs his arches upside-down by hanging a string between two points, then designing a structural element based on the parabolic curve that results. This creates an arch that doesn’t need to be buttressed, and furthers the natural look that his building have. The attic of Casa Mila is based on the shape of a snake’s skeleton, and flows in a way that is both challenging and comfortable. This picture is of Laurie on the roof of the building, and you can see in the background two of the six stairwells (the large spirals covered with white tiles) and several of the stormtrooper-looking chimneys.

Food:

My food of the day was the vindaloo curry that I got in York. I finally made it tonight with some potatoes, cauliflower, and carrot that I bought at the local market. It was a little spicy for the others, but I absolutely loved it. The flavors were out of this world, and it really hit the spot for a rainy night in. I'm just bummed that I forgot to plan some bread or rice to go with it.

1 comment: