Monday, April 13, 2009

Day 5 in Barcelona

So the catch up continues. This post is for Saturday, April 11, 2009.Person:

The person of the day today was my wife, Laurie. She arrived in Barcelona today and I got to pick her up at the airport! It’s been about two weeks since we’ve seen each other, and it was truly joyous to be able to hear her voice and hold her again. I won’t gush too much, but she is wonderful and everything is better when she’s around, so I’m glad that she is again.
Place:

We went to the Catalan Concert Hall this evening to see Miguel Dominguez play classical guitar. The concert hall is designed in the modernist style (like the various Gaudi sites around town), and was created by Lluis Domenech I Muntaner). It was ornate to the point of being gaudy (I especially enjoyed the brightly colored glass pillars supporting all the railings), and truly unique. Dominguez’s Spanish guitar playing was amazing. As we entered there was just a single chair on stage flanked by two amplifiers and a microphone. I loved the audacity of it, and our performer lived up to it. Sorry this isn't a great picture. The dim light made it less than ideal for photographs.

Food:

We went to yet another pintxos place tonight (Basque tapas). They are very common in Barcelona, and we’ve really grown to love them. For one of the dessert tapas they had these truffle looking things that were basically really dark ganache covered with chocolate jimmies. It was ridiculously good; I could have eaten five (though I would probably have gotten sick).

1 comment: