Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Flight Home

Today was spent on trains and in airplanes for the most part. My flight across the Atlantic sucked (I had a headache and the plane wasn't as nice as the one I was on the first time), but I'm almost home. I miss my bed, I miss my dog, and I miss my students. I can't wait to see them all again (well my bed I'm not so much interested in seeing as feeling).

Person:

In Dallas Fort Worth (where I am now) I got help from one of the information ladies. She was extremely friendly and helpful, and reminded me about how great Americans can be to be around. Not that I didn't enjoy the French, Spanish, English, or Scots, but it's nice to come home and remember that you like living where you do.

Place:

Dallas Fort Worth is a fantastic airport. They have free power terminals all over the place, and free internet (if you have a CAT-5 cable, which I don't; I'm paying for T-Mobile WiFi). It's a huge airport, but has a handy tram to get you between terminals, and seems very efficient (in sharp contrast to Charles De Gaulle this morning, which is actually one of the worst airports in the world; they recommend you arrive 3 hours early, and that's not an exaggeration).

Food:

As soon as I got off the plane I headed for a Mexican restaurant (they do that almost as good in Texas as we do in California) and got myself some guacamole and a margarita. They need to grow some avocado trees in Europe, already! It's good to be (almost) home.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny - the stereotype "Ugly American" comes to my mind - because we have this reputation around the world, yet you are so happy to be with Americans. I love being American. Often I'm asked what my ethnicity is and I always say "American" That is what I am after all.

    ReplyDelete